Latest Property for sale

View more

Manacor, Mallorca, Spain - Property for sale Houses and Apartments

Find your dream property for sale in Manacor, on Property-10.com. With more than 450,000 Spanish homes for sale from the leading real estate agents in Spain, apartments, houses, penthouse, hotels, hotel rural, villas, land, fincas

Manacor is a Spanish city and municipality located in the eastern part of Mallorca, in the Balearic Islands. On the shores of the Mediterranean Sea, this municipality borders those of San Lorenzo del Cardezar, Petra, Villafranca de Bonany and Felanich.

The Manacor municipality is one of the five entities that make up the Levante Mallorquín region, and includes the population centers of Manacor - municipal and regional capital and headquarters of its own judicial district -, 2 Porto Cristo, s'Illot-Cala Morlanda , Calas de Mallorca (Cales de Mallorca), Son Macià, Cala Anguila-Cala Mandía (Cala Anguila-Mendia), Cala Murada, Cala Romántica (Estany d'en Mas), Son Talent, Son Mas and La Marineta (sa Marineta) .

In 2019 it had 43,808 inhabitants.3 Its municipal area has an area of ​​260 km² and a density of 168.29 inhabitants / km² and is located at an average altitude of 80 m s. n. m .. Due to its population, Manacor is the third municipality on the island and the second in terms of surface area.

The forest area represents little more than 20% of the municipal term. As arboreal species, wild olive and palm of the scrubland are spread throughout the Marina, together with plant species such as steppe joana (Hypericum balearicum), mastic (Lentiscus), hay (Fenum), rosemary (Rosmarinus) and heather. The pine forest develops in the mountainous area. On the coast we find, among others, sea fennel and gorse, while on the beaches the sea thistle has almost disappeared. In the more humid areas, tamarind and reed beds are also frequent.

The first signs of human presence in the territories that today the municipality of Manacor occupies date back to 2000-1200 BC. From this period, the artificial caves stand out as a burial place (s'Homonet cave in Son Ribot, Mitjà de ses Beies in Sa Sínia Nova, etc.), and the navetes, isolated or grouped buildings in villages, used as habitats (sa Marineta, s'Hospitalet Vell, etc.)

From the Talayotic period, the buildings of l'Hospitalet Vell, Bosc, Bellver, Bandrís, Son Sureda and Sa Gruta stand out.

The underwater finds of materials in Porto Cristo indicate an area frequented by the Romans. The remains of the basilicas of Sa Carrotja and Son Peretó indicate consolidated Christian communities.

The origin of the city of Manacor probably predates the Islamic domination.

In 1300 Jaime II granted Manacor the status of a town. From the urban beginnings, the Torre del Palau and the fortification of some rural houses such as the Torre de ses Puntes and the Torre dels Enagistes have been preserved. From medieval times it is necessary to remember the role of Manacor in social conflicts with the leading role of a prominent character: Simó Tort. An important event was the founding of the Sant Vicenç Ferrer convent by the Order of Preachers in 1576, beginning, at the same time, the construction of the Baroque church and the birth of the Fartàritx neighborhood, where the windmills that are located are concentrated. they mark the physiognomy of this area of ​​the city. At the beginning of the following century, the order started the cloister. With the confiscation of 1835, the assets of the order passed into the hands of the state, allocating the cloister dependencies to municipal services and the court. In 1879 the Inca - Manacor railway line was inaugurated and in 1902 the first artificial pearl factory was founded, thus becoming the commercial and industrial center of Majorcan Llevant. Since 1912, Manacor has the title of city. At the end of the 19th century, the new church of Nostra Senyora dels Dolors was built, the work of the architect Gaspar Bennazar, which was located in the same place as the previous churches (the oldest possibly built on an Arab mosque). In 2015, the mayoral elections of the Manacor city council were held and the results were: Mes-Esquerra with 5 councilors, PI with 5 councilors, PP with 4 councilors, PSOE with 3 councilors, AIPC-SYS with 3 councilors and Volem ( We can) with 1 alderman. A left pact formed by MES-ESQUERRA, PSOE and VOLEM (PODEMOS) was formulated and they achieved a minority government with 9 councilors of the 11 that are necessary to have a government with an absolute majority. In October, the right-wing parties: Partido Popular (PP), Proposta per les Illes (PI) and AIPC-SYS, signed a pact to overthrow the left-wing government team and with the sum of the right-wing parties there are 11 councilors with which they have an absolute majority to govern, and on November 4 the powers will be transferred, for which a right-wing government is confirmed with the mayor's office led by Pedro Rosselló (PP) for two years and by Catalina Riera (EL PI) for the last year and a half of mandate, while the deputy mayor will be Joan Gomila of AIPC-SYS for the remainder of the term.

The population growth of the municipality throughout history is considered proportional to that of the island as a whole. It is estimated that in the 16th century the population was about 5,000, increasing to 7,000 until the 18th century. Population expansion began in the 19th century, reaching about 13,000 inhabitants at the beginning of the 20th century. From 1920 there was a strong increase until 1940 (19,000), the year in which there was a stagnation. In the 60s it resumed with periods of greater moderation, until today. The increase in this last cycle has been characterized by the immigration wave caused by the economic expansion parallel to the development of the tourism sector. The following table shows the demographic evolution from 1900 to 2001 (Source: INE). The data for 2008 comes from the municipal register as of 1-3-2008.

Plaza Sa Bassa: Elegant square with history. Some of the buildings that surround it are from the 17th century.

Iglesia Nuestra Señora de los Dolores: This great temple stands out from the surrounding buildings; with a lavish and ornate bearing typical of the 19th century neo-Gothic style. The slender 80 meter high annex tower stands out, making it the tallest building on the island. Church with a central nave surrounded by a succession of chapels. The rector Rubí ordered its construction on the old church of Santa María de Manacor, from the 15th century. The parishioners worship the Christ of Manacor.

Old Royal Palace: It was the residential palace of King Jaime. Today it is occupied by the well-known bar Sa Torre del Palau, which invites you to taste coffee in an environment of medieval aesthetics (13th century) similar to the time when the building was erected.

Of the original structure, only the Torre del Homenaje remains, with a square section and a marked Gothic style.

Church of San Vicente Ferrer: Beautiful austere and simple temple, erected at the end of the 16th century in the Plaza del Convento. The sober façade continues to be of a Dominican aesthetic, although there are Gothic details such as those of the annexed tower with a pyramidal finish, and classic details on the pediment that crowns its door. Inside the Church there are treasures of great symbolic value: the famous S'Alicorn, the undisputed protagonist of Manacorian folklore, a mixture of a man with the head of an ass on a tricycle. It seems that S'Alicorn is a mocking metaphor for the priests of the Inquisition.

The interior is a single nave. The best, the Chapel of the Rosary, a distinguished baroque work, full of ornaments and gilded finishes. The organ in the chapel, from the 17th century, also stands out.

Beautiful cloister around a rectangular courtyard, made up of semicircular arches of careful proportions.

Ses Puntes Tower: The name of this tower responds to its crenellated finish, which recalls its defensive function. It was built between the 13th and 16th centuries. Now there is in the tower there is an exhibition hall. The original function of the tower was to see the signals emitted by the coastal watchtowers and to prevent the population from possible invasions, mainly Barbary pirates. Nearby is the Plaza de Ramón Llul, place of the old market for cattle, vegetables, wool and other products. And beyond, the Plaza de San Jaime contains the fountain of the Four Fish. Torre dels Enagistes: On the outskirts of the city this old defensive tower remains from the 16th century. Here is the Historical Museum of Manacor, which contains interesting samples of various objects that show the ancient history of the city: coins, navigation utensils, ceramics and a mosaic from the early Christian basilica of Son Peretó (5th century). Porto Cristo: Here we find the Church of the Virgin, recently built (late 19th century); The Torre dels Falcons, 16th century, which defended the port from invasive attacks by sea; The unique Cuevas Blacas, a gallery of caves located on the coastline that were the home of fishermen until the middle of the 19th century. The town is known mainly for its caves, especially the Drach caves, a large hollow 1700 meters long where nature has sculpted the most amazing shapes (stalactites and stalagmites). Inside the cave is Lake Martel, one of the largest underground lakes in the world. Manacor in Prehistory and Antiquity: In the surroundings of Manacor, S'Hopitalet Vell, in the Calas de Mallorca area, we have the prehistoric town of Es Velar, which preserves a large talayot ​​or turret in good condition, perhaps from the Bronze Age (around 4,000 BC). 8 kilometers from Manacor is the early-Christian basilica of Son Peteró, from the 5th century, on the road that leads to San Lorenzo del Cardezar. Its beautiful mosaics are on display today in the Historic Museum of Manacor (Torre dels Enagistes).

Manacor has deeply rooted the culture of its ancestors thanks to the efforts of the people to recover them. Some more representative samples of this culture are:

Moretons
Ritual dance of uncertain origin. Apparently, composed around 1855 on the grounds of the proclamation of the Dogma of the Immaculate Conception of Mary. The clothing of the Moretons4 resembles that of Barbary pirates and their predominant colors are yellow and red. They wear a turban with a half moon and wooden clubs on their hands, knees and abdomen, which make them collide to the sound of the music. They leave in May, for the festivities of Sant Domingo.

Cossiers
Dance composed of six men and one woman. During the months of May and June at the spring fairs and festivals.

Sant Antoni

Plaça de sa Mora
On the eve of January 17, bonfires are lit in the streets of the town to eat and sing around, and it is used to grill llangonisses and botifarrons (typical sausages of the island). Meanwhile, a procession made up of Sant Antoni and three demons, (in the 80s there were 5 but there were too many to distribute the donations and there were again 3) that represents the temptations to which the saint is subjected, and a group of musicians go walking through the streets of the town doing a typical dance until the wee hours of the morning. The following day the Beneïdes is celebrated, a parade of floats and animals for their blessing by a parish priest. Saint Anthony the Abbot is the patron saint of animals and of the peasant.

info: https://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manacor